coffee table redo

I picked up this little number on freecycle. It had been well loved!

017020018

031

 

 

I pulled the top off the base and did my clampy gluey thing…

 

 

039

 

While it dried I attacked the base.

A quick sand was all it got & then 3 coats of ceiling white (cos that’s what was sitting about in the shed)

 

IMG_2990

 

 

Attack the edgey bits with sandpaper to distress it…

 

 

IMG_2994

 

Then the antiquing ….

I have been on this bottle for ages & it still hasn’t run out. It’s lovely stuff!

 

IMG_2991

 

You just paint it in the grooves roughly

(I used one of the kids’ paint brushes)

 

 

 

IMG_2993IMG_2989

 

 

 

Wipe with a damp cloth

 

 

and you get this lovely aged look. I wacked a couple of coats of clear interior varnish over the top to seal it.

 

 

printed image

 

Now for the image transfer.                              This one is compliments of the graphics fairy (where else?!) I had been playing around with various transfer mediums & stumbled onto one that worked pretty well.

 

I have a long and eventful career as a ‘wanna-be’ image transferrer. I even came
close to blowing up my parlour by buying an electrical transfer tool online.

I tried the wax paper method (Here)…but it was a bit ‘Meh’.

I read online that photographers use alcohol for transferring images so I scrounged in my pantry one rainy afternoon with some scraps of wood & got playing. Here’s what I discovered…

Vodka. Yep. works a treat (although only on smooth porous timber…It didn’t work on rough timber & also didn’t work on timber finished with oil based paint.)

Anyhoo – I just stuck the image face down with sticky tape. Wiped over it LIGHTLY with cotton wool dipped in the vodka (just till the image showed through the reverse side of the paper) and then dabbed (banged) my way across the image with dry cotton wool.

printed topog

 

This is the result. Good, hey!

Although some bits were a bit smudgy where I’d been a bit generous with the vodka…

 

 

sharpie

 

So I drew over it with a fine sharpie texta.         It made the lines clearer and hid the     smudgy-ness a bit.

In this pic I’d ‘sharpie’d’ it up to the ‘U’ in Legumes. You can see the difference it makes.

 

IMG_3057

 

 

 

I finished the table top with 3 coats of this stuff.                It’s awesome and I use it heaps. It gives a really nice finish & it’s really durable. You don’t have to chase away people with cold drinks or coffee cups.

 

image

And here’s the end result… Was happy with this one.

coffee tabletable

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

%d bloggers like this: